[vc_row][vc_column][vc_text_separator title=”Diocese of Helena Archives” color=”custom” border_width=”3″ accent_color=”#1e73be”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/4″][vc_widget_sidebar sidebar_id=”td-default”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”3/4″][vc_column_text]
Pictured: Monsignor Day and his Belgian colony arrive in Great Falls en route to Valier. Father Joseph Carroll meets them. (Helena Diocesan Archives)
The Archives of the Diocese of Helena operates in accordance with church law. The collection and management of records, photographs and artifacts ensures that the archive collection reflects the mission of the Catholic Church in Western Montana. Bishop Brondel in the 1890’s noted that papers be kept for the diocesan archives.
The Helena Diocesan Archives accumulates the records and artifacts that tell the story of the diocese from its 1884 beginning to the present. A stereographic photo of the Cathedral of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary depicts the brick building in which early Montana Catholics worshipped and were baptized, married and buried. Microfilmed parish sacramental records of 1866 -1886 from Deer Lodge Parish reflect the itinerate travels of a priest to Warm Springs Creek, Silver Bow, Rockertown, Butte City, Cottonwood, Blackfeet City, McClellan Gulch, Beartown, Days Gulch, Cable City and Georgetown.
Parish baptismal and marriage records through 2000 have been microfilmed, and the archivist upon request may access records.